Sunday 30 December 2012

A Healthy & Easy Snack for the New Year

I am entering into my second week into my Christmas Break.  I would say that first week has been fairly successful.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!


Let me share some highlights with you:

  1. I achieved my goal of baking allergy friendly treats that are really delicious and don't make me sick.
  2. With the help of family, specifically my wonderful sister-in-law, Trisha, my blog has a new and improved look and name.
  3. I have slept in until 8:30am every morning, instead of the usual 6am.
  4. I learned to drive a remote control helicopter.
  5. I discovered a really great place called Golden Ears Cheese Works.  Don't be fooled by the word cheese, it really is a cute country store and cafe that happens to make and sell cheese.  The best part is that their cafe has gluten free treats like muffins and even a dairy, wheat, & gluten free Oreo like cookie cookie. If you are in Maple Ridge, you must check this out!

Now onto week two, let's see what it brings.

So far I am off to a good start.  Tonight I learned to make a healthy snack that I have been avoiding because I thought it was way more complicated.




I have been seeing pins for "make microwave popcorn in a paper bag" all over pinterest for a while.  It is a great idea and I thank whoever first thought of it!

So when my husband shared with me that he really likes popcorn and would opt for this instead of cookies, I wondered why we have never had popcorn in the house and headed right for the store.

This is great if you are like me and don't have a popcorn popper and are too much in 'relaxation mode' to stand at the stove and pop popcorn in a pan.  Using the paper bag was so very easy, so if you are looking for a quick, easy, and healthy and allergy friendly snack, then give this a try.

Microwave Popcornserves 2-3

You will need:
  • A brown paper bag & 3 small pieces of masking tape
  • 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
  • A microwave
  • Your favorite topping...I put melted coconut oil and salt on mine.

Steps:

1. Place 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in paper bag.  Tape shut & microwave for 2 minutes

2. Open carefully, and while it is cooling prepare your favorite topping*

3. Pour on your favorite topping and enjoy!


 *I melted a spoonful of coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds the poured it over and topped with salt.


Note:  I bet you have wondered, "what would happen if I put more popcorn in the bag".  I used a 1/2 cup instead of a 1/3.  My results:




By the way, what do you put on your popcorn?



2 comments:

  1. Are you serious about only putting popcorn in the bag? I thought that I would have to put some kind of oil in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no oil needed. Just popcorn kernels in the bag sealed with masking tape!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.