Friday 11 January 2013

Homemade Vegan and Gluten Free Perogies that were Actually Delicious!

Recently I have shared about my addiction to potatoes.  Guess what!  I have found but another way to feed my cravings, as well as enjoy a past loved treat.


A few girls and I got together to make perogies for a special dinner.  I wasn't able to partake in this meal unless I figured out a way to make gluten and dairy free perogies.

 I have never made perogies before, so this was even a bigger challenge. Thanks to www.greenveganliving.com I found a great recipe for the dough.

For the dough* recipe, please visit this website.

*Note: I did not have any sweet rice flour, so I used sorghum instead.  The dough was a nice texture, so I would say it worked just fine.

For the filling, I boiled potatoes and added dairy free margarine and milk along with some salt and bacon.  This one is pretty open ended though.  Depending on your dietary needs, you could add anything you wanted.  I hear blueberries are good!

Here's how it went for me:

My dough formed pretty easily, I just had to add a little extra water
The rolling pin was in use, but a wine bottle worked great with the dough in between plastic wrap

I used a glass to cut out my circles

Half of the dough made about 14 perogies for me


My filling...next time I want to try sweet potatoes, bacon, and coconut milk
Each cut-out did not require much filling...lots leftover to eat by the spoonful!

With wet fingers, I pinched the edges together.


Overall the dough was really easy to work with

They floated after about 2 minutes of boiling
We fried the boiled perogies with some oil, onions, and gluten free sausage.

I was really satisfied! and not too hard to make...you should try it!


 What do you like to put in your perogies? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.