Friday 8 February 2013

Just like the Fort

I love Dragon Fort.  But now I don't have to go there because I know how to make a sweet and sour sauce that rivals theirs.

Last week I shared my recipe for Meatballs.  There are multiple ways to serve meatballs, but one of my favourite is with sweet & sour sauce.  I have tried a few different recipes but this recipe is amazing...it is seriously the same thing you get in a Chinese Food Restaurant...but you know what's in it. 

Let me brag about my brother again, he is very talented. I wanted a sauce for my meatballs and asked him what he does.  About 15 texts later I had a recipe and a ton of helpful tips to set me up for a delicious meal. 

And with his permission I share his sauce.




Sweet and Sour Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup white rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten free)
  • 1 cup liquid (1/2 water + 1/2 orange juice)*
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch**
  • Peppers & onions cut in chunks, if desired
Directions:
1. In sauce pan, mix sugars, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce & 3/4 cup liquid.
2. Bring to a boil.  Meanwhile, mix together remaining 1/4 liquid and cornstarch in small bowl.
3. When contents in the pot are boiling, stir in cornstarch liquid and stir until thick. Add peppers & onions.

Note:
*You could use also use pineapple juice, or all juice or all water. 
** If you cannot have corn, you can also use arrowroot flour. 
*** If using with meatballs, arrange meatballs, peppers, and onions in baking dish and heat in oven before you make the sauce.  When sauce is finished, pour over meatballs and cook another 15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.