Tuesday 9 April 2013

Dutch Apple Cake

Banana Loaf is a staple in our house.  While it is pretty amazing, I get bored of it.  Now let me clarify, I don't eat it.  I guess I just get bored of watching Dan eat the same thing for the last five years. 


Good news! I don't have to be bored anymore- I found the Dutch Apple Walnut Loaf. And I love it!

Dutch apple walnut loaf
source


The best part is that my critics love it too and didn't even know I made it gluten free.

I adapted the original recipe to make it gluten free, dairy free, as well as to have a little of my own personal touch.  You can find the original here.


This is what mine looks like...I so badly wanted to pick at the topping!

Dutch Apple Walnut Loaf- makes 1 large loaf
Adapted from Carina-Forum
 
Before you begin:
- get 1/2 cup chopped walnuts in the oven for toasting.
- Then preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Topping
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup dairy-free butter (such as Earth Balance)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside. 

Loaf
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free butter softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup dairy-free milk (almond or rice)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups gluten-free flour
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 apple, peeled, cored, & diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Directions:
  1. Grease a baking dish. Line the base of the dish with parchment paper, then grease the top of the parchment paper.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well until fully incorporated. Beat in the milk and vanilla.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer running, slowly beat in the dry ingredients just until fully combined. Stir in the diced apples and chopped walnuts by hand.
  4. Pour the batter into the prepared dish, and sprinkle over the topping.
  5. Place the dish in the oven and bake until puffed and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 55 minutes to an hour. Cool the dish on a rack for 15 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely before slicing.
Trust me, this is a must try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.