Tuesday 2 April 2013

What will go in your Megalunch? Part 2

So I must confess, I expected to do a lot more blogging during my spring break.  I cooked lots even took a number of pictures, but time just flew!  It's time to get disciplined again.

Last week, I introduced you to the megalunch.  This thing makes a weekly appearance in our house, in fact I made another one last night.  If I didn't pre-make food, I am certain Dan would either live on peanut butter sandwiches and chips or he would be eating out every day.  Neither are good options for us, so instead, I schedule in soup making sprees when I can.


The Megalunch.


Another confession, I don't have that many soup recipes.  Dan has been happy to eat the same few over and over.  And while I have tried new ones, they don't always work out , so I don't experiment with soups very often.

If you have a favorite soup recipe, please pass it on, even it if has wheat and dairy in it (Dan can still eat it).
You can comment or email me  I'd love hear from you!


Because I had some free time I tried something new. Actually two new things and a usual.
1. I put Kale in our Quinoa Minestrone.  Not bad, but neither Dan or I enjoy greens in our soup, so while we will finish the batch I don't think Kale will ever make it in a soup again.

2. I tried a new vegetable soup with Quinoa Pasta.  The Quinoa pasta was good immediately after cooking itHowever, after having one from the freezer I have decided to not put quinoa pasta in soup again.  I find that it gets too gritty.  I LOVE quinoa pasta, but I love it in pasta form, not in soups.  

3. I made an old fashioned Chicken Soup for Dan.  This is pretty basic and I know there are a million ways to make it...let me tell you what I did:

Chicken Soup Recipe* 

In a large pot, combine:
  • 2 cartons of Knorr Chicken Broth
  • 3 or so celery sticks, chopped
  • 3 or so carrot sticks, chopped
  • all purpose spice such as Mrs. Dash or Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning, to taste
  • 1 cooked chicken breast, sliced and cooked in all purpose spice
  • salt & Pepper to taste 
  • 1/3 cup rice or two handfuls of spaghetti noodles, broken into small pieces

Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables and rice/pasta is soft.

Note:
* I don't follow a recipe, I eye my ingredients and taste as I go along.  So do the same, because I can't promise my measurements are the same.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.