Saturday 12 October 2013

Fall Soup!

I love the fall!!  I love the crispness of the air, the color of the trees and the fall vegetables.



While at the market one day I found some lovely butternut and acorn squash and to my surprise they made a delicious soup! 

Oprah’s Butternut Squash Soup photo
Image Source


I got this recipe for Oprah's Butternut Squash Soup from tastebook.com but adjusted a few things to meet my tastes and my dietary needs.  For the original recipe go here.

Here's my version of the recipe so you can try it too!

Squash Soup serves 4 
recipe adapted from www.tastebook.com

Ingredients
  • 1 medium butternut squash & 1 medium acorn squash (about 1-2 pounds each)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 yellow or red onion , sliced
  • 1 stalk celery , sliced
  • 1 carrot , sliced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary leaves
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Directions
  1. Peel squash and remove seeds. Cut into chunks and set aside.
  2. Add oil to a 4-quart pot and place over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and rosemary, and cook until onion begins to brown, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
  3. Add squash, stock, and 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let soup cool slightly, about 8 minutes.
  4. Using a standard or immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. If using a standard blender, puree in small batches to prevent spillage
  5. Add coconut milk, salt & pepper to soup.  Serve immediately or store in containers (I prefer 500ml canning jars).  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.